June 8-9, 2013 preceeding the start of the Annual Conference.
Fireside Chat 6:00 pm June 8 at John Carroll University
Educational Sessions June 9 at Cleveland Marriott East, Warrensville Heights, Ohio
The Guiding the Way to Inclusion Workshop is designed as a one-day drive-in workshop for both high school and college admission counselors who serve students of color.
For those professionals wanting a more extended involvement, the workshop also includes a Fireside Chat. The Fireside Chat takes place the evening prior to the formal program and provides attendees with an additional opportunity to discuss current industry ideas and trends, all while in an informal and interactive setting. The Fireside Chat often provides an ideal venue for networking amongst attendees.
The Guiding the Way to Inclusion Workshop is designed as a one-day drive-in workshop for both high school and college admission counselors who serve underrepresented populations, including but not limited to: students of color (African-American, Latino, American Indian, Asian, etc.), first generation students, Appalachian students, students of different sexual orientations, and low-income students.
The goal/mission of the workshop is two-fold:
- To address issues pertinent to counseling, recruiting and enrolling underrepresented populations in institutions of higher education.
- To serve as an outreach tool, giving both high school and college admission counselors who work with underrepresented populations the opportunity to network and to strategize methods to assist underrepresented populations.
The expected outcomes of the workshop are:
- To equip high school and college admission counselors with suggestions, ideas, and techniques to assist with college bound students from underrepresented populations.
- To provide a networking environment for high school and college admission counselors that fosters positive and productive working relationships to be used in assisting college bound students from underrepresented populations.
Derek Brinkley, Xavier University
Become a Member to enjoy the following
- Membership directory
- College fair schedule
- Submit your fair
- Post and update job listings
- Communicate with other members